We are looking for a Financial Planner for our Santa Monica Office. You have a CFP® certification (or have passed the exam) and will be taking over an existing role creating financial plans in partnership with our client facing advisors.
You’ll join a team empowered to give our clients the best wealth management experience possible.
How to Succeed
- Deeply understand and operate our financial planning software. We’re in the process of choosing new software, so you’ll also be very adept at learning new systems quickly.
- Manage a large number of open requests at once and have the flexibility to manage shifting priorities. Seriously, you might have 50 open items on your list and be working on 5 financial plans at once. You’ll never miss a due date.
- Support our advisors in the planning process and make them trust you implicitly.
- Oversee one or two intern-level staff members who will help with the administrative aspects of the job. You’ll teach them and be able to use relatively unskilled labor to great effect.
- Sit in on client meetings when necessary, and quickly come up with new scenarios on the fly. Rapid action is key to this position. Responding like a deer caught in headlights is not a good move.
- Communicate as often as necessary with advisors who have an outstanding request.
- Help on special projects, like Excel analysis and research.
- Be OK in a support role, given that this position isn’t directly responsible for any client relationships.
How to Excel
Oh, you want to be the best Financial Planner we have ever had? Here’s how:
- Intuit the various scenarios that our advisors want to run for their clients. You understand the clients even better than their advisors do.
- Your writing puts Hemingway to shame, and Sir Ian McKellan comes to you for advice on oration.
- When asked for a status report on open requests, you either can rattle off the current state of each request from memory, or you smile and say, “It’s all finished!” Of course, no advisor would ever ask you for a status update because you’ve proactively made sure that, before they had a chance to wonder how things were going, you’ve already called them.
- Advisors cry when you go on vacation because they’ll miss you.
- You’ve redesigned the data gathering process such that clients spend 18.6% less time and the process is done 2,076 minutes sooner.
- You frequently win bar bets with our advisors on financial planning trivia and theory.
Nice to Haves:
You should be a CFP® certificant or at least have passed the exam. Experience with NaviPlan, eMoney, MoneyGuidePro, FinanceLogix (or all of the above) would help you hit the ground running. Knowing at least two strategies for reducing tax on ISOs and the best way to structure a GRAT strategy is super cool.